Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year, New Blog, New Direction: The John/Rachel Project

So it’s a new year and I’m proud to announce a new direction for my blog. I’ve decided to shy away from film reviews, ramblings and become more focused - and that starts today with the renaming of this blog to the “John/Rachel Project”. Yes, I’ve decided to cook a new meal from Rachel Ray’s 365 Days, No Repeats cook book and blog about it, every night.

The Hows and Wherefores...
For the moment, I will not tackle the existential query, "Why, John?  Why Rachel?  Why now?"  Instead, I shall stick to explicating the rules of engagement.
Initially, I had thought to work through the book front to back.  This quickly was declared impracticable.  So I decided to work through each chapter, beginning to end.  This is advantageous because the ten chapters of recipes conveniently add up to 10 recipes per week, roughly equivalent to the pace I need to set to get through the thing in a year.  Also, there is the suspense factor.  Because the book is structured like a classic cooking lesson, building up from basic techniques, the going will get gradually tougher as times goes on. 
Those who are following far too closely should know that the vegetable chapter is an exception, being organized alphabetically.  I will be skipping through from time to time according to availability.
Enough of these technicalities.  Let us begin!
*****
Those readers who are staying tuned to snicker at my ignonimous defeat will have to wait another day.  Similarly those who plan to drool voyeuristically over my improbable triumphs.  The first meal of the John/Rachel Project was:
Balsamic-Glazed Pork Chops with Arugula-Basil Rice Pilaf
And it was okay.
The pork was quite good.  Pan-fried, as I said, which was a nice change from the usual stick-the-hunk-of-meat-under-a-broiler routine, especially with a nice buttery jus on top. 
Nothing went wrong.  It was good, though after one meal we're already feeling the buttery side effects.  I cooked Rachel and lived to tell the tale. It was easy. 
Too easy.

1 comment: