Saturday, March 13, 2010

If You Must Remake "The Wizard of Oz"....please don't hire Tim Burton to goth it up.

Growing up The Wizard of Oz was one of my favorite films, I’ve evolved but the fact remains for its time it’s still an excellent looking film that packs an emotional punch. With that said, there is talk of a 3-D remake, one that Warner Brothers is saying will skew darker than the original. Fine, but please, please, please – don’t let Tim Burton get his hands on the remake.

Tim Burton is great craftsmen but his films, or at least the past few films of his don’t engage the mind as much as they engage the eyes. There is nothing for me to do, except sit back and be passive, he’s done it all for me. I don’t like this, and there many world-class filmmakers that I’d much rather see a Wizard of Oz remake from.

My problems with Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Corpse Bride and Big Fish are that they were visually engaging films. Visual engagement is only half the battle: mental engagement, character development, drama, plot, excitement should be the whole thing. I’d rather pay to see a film that looks like it was shot on your handy cam that captures me. One such example is a documentary I just saw on Hollywood screenwriters, Tales from the Script.

Tales from the Script is visually the blandest film you’ll see all year, I don’t mean that as an insult: it’s a series of talking heads with the occasional scene from a film about screenwriting intercut to introduce the next theme. But what it does right (or write!) is that it contains truly interesting characters talking about a profession they love and are frustrated by and are critical of a closed system, not unlike Burton’s created worlds. I’d rather watch Tales from The Script twice more than Alice in Wonderland.

After paying to see Alice in 3-D, a format I’m not still sold on, I felt nothing, numb. The visuals weren’t terribly exciting to me, in fact we’ve seen this all before. 3-D is a format that I think still hasn’t been used to its full capacity (although Avatar in IMAX was a visually amazing experience), digital 3-D anyway (we saw the Dolby Digital process with glasses that we had to return). 3-D doesn’t do much to add to this experience, as there is a loss of light.

Burton also lost all respect from me as a filmmaker when he didn’t speak up over Disney’s shortening of distribution windows, for his own film (not Old Dogs, which probably should have been released direct to video). He makes films that are visually extravagant and expensive when a micro-budget documentary has the ability to be more exciting – you’d think with those visuals he’d inset on having it be seen on a giant screen, such as IMAX. Therefore you’d think he’d push for a full theatrical run, including a second run at a cheap house.

We’ve made the film a hit by seeing it. I will not see it again unless there was the promise of getting laid afterwards. So why is Burton wrong for Wizard of Oz?

I think the dark, dare I say “hot topic Goth” elements of some of his characters including the White Princess in Alice, serve to alienate audiences, it alienates me. Unlike most I like seeing myself on screen, which is why I had such a good time with She’s Out of My League this evening. The “hot topic Goths” and CGI creatures would ruin The Wizard of Oz. The story is about humans, not animals, humans trapped by their conditions and flaws. The idea of a CGI cowardly lion makes me want to puke.

Why not leave a classic alone. Sure there are things to be done, it could be made into a darker story, but why toy with a classic. The Wizard of Oz has been re-released a few times, I saw it ironically enough back in 1998 the same weekend as I saw the Oz-like Velvet Goldmine in theaters. Maybe Todd Haynes is the right person to do a Wizard of Oz 3-D remake; his work is about superstition, image, desire, alienation, and real humans. He gets women. He’d probably get these men with something missing, being a filmmaker from the golden age of “new queer cinema”. His Wizard of Oz would be personal, moving, and memorable with an emphasis on emotion more than visual.

Sony got that when they hired Marc Webb to reboot Spider-Man (why it needs a reboot I’m not sure). He’s only directed one feature before, but it was the fun character driven comedy (500) Days of Summer, boil it down to its elements and its about a boy and a girl, much like Spiderman. Burton has been adapting the work of others creating a hyper reality without engagement or any sort of conflict for us, the audience. It happens, we pay our $13, sit there for 2 hours and that’s it. The thing is, it shouldn’t more than that, we should connect, and when we can’t there is a huge problem. Maybe it’s just me, but wouldn’t you rather see somebody theoretically inventive take an artist risk and do something bold, then the safe CGI-infused choice that leaves you feeling bored?

No comments:

Post a Comment