Sunday, January 2, 2011

Statement of Purpose / Reactivation

So my new years resolution is to write more, I once was good at keeping a blog - then grad school happened. As I write this I’m still not sure what should be said here - I keep “resetting” it - saying I will write more, but I haven’t had time to write let alone read for fun: my main focus of coarse is and will for the foreseeable future be seeing films. In terms of writing reviews I haven’t kept up or drafted much in the way of commentary - I keep my own journal but so much of what I see has me dumbfounded: there’s not much to say about a lot of it if there was no passion. Those I feel passionately about I think you should just go see - take my word for it, these films are worth it.

Then there the films I want to call out for one reason or another, but in the last year on this blog, I’ve only felt the need to call out a public official who should have been cleaning up a corrupt organization in Passaic County instead of participating in a whorish stunt, as if he was Snookie from The Jersey Shore.

Other friends have used blogs to write books or aggregate content (which is what made me stop writing in the first place: someone else has probably said it more brilliantly than I in the online realm - strangely I find it safer to write in an academic context - here I can’t figure out a way to cite with footnotes). With that said - what is the roll of a blog in the age of Zuckerberg where everything is communicated and aggregated - many things I don’t care about, some things I do. It’s always useful to log in and see certain friends (I have curated this to a degree) and what they’re up to, not as a stalker but as a sort of cultural pulse amongst a diverse set of friends from high school, undergrad and grad school. Sadly many of them are interested in The Jersey Shore.

With that said, I don’t know what to use this space for - I will be publishing a top list of movies from 2010 here, perhaps reviewing others from 2011. Several of my film reviews, including my upcoming adventure to South by Southwest will appear at another fine site: www.thefilmstage.com - where I provide reviews and hope to provide more commentary to a very wide audience. That site has an ever growing presence and will continue to grow - reaching eyeballs on another aggregator - IMDB’s Newsdesk, it had a mythological beginning much like Facebook, on a college campus, probably in a dorm room. Although I don’t think a break up, getting shitfaced and coding all night involved (it started on a blog site much like this). It was strange the first time I clicked on an IMDB film page and saw a review that not only I agreed with but thought from the first few lines “hey this guy is good, he gets me” - yeah. (I think that was for the unreleased in the United States, British version of Step Up 3D - Street Dance 3D)

So perhaps I’ll use this as a behind the scenes to what I’m working on - I’ve vowed 2011 will be a productive year and perhaps it should include some reflection - therefore 2011 will be (provided I get my ass in gear) the year when a lot of things I do (not everything) will be chronicled in a web presence. Fantastic - now on to reinvent the awful, dormant and boring www.johnfinkfilms.com - with some new shit.

----
links:
www.johnfinkfilms.com - new stuff coming soon (promise)
http://thefilmstage.com/author/john-fink

No comments:

Post a Comment