Saturday, May 16, 2009

Summer Projects

So I’m announcing officially the start of two new projects - really, this time no bull shit - I’ve been writing quite a bit lately, most scripts I can’t green light myself but these two I can. More details to follow.


The first: a documentary that I expect to be shot, over the next few summers about a very strange and rather dangerous water park we had here in Northern New Jersey - I’m looking to recruit a DP and someone to work the sound. Anybody interested.


The second: a narrative short film I’ve been writing that will be filmed in the Pompton Lakes area - it’s on par with my film Dwell in terms of scope/production time, in that it’ll be about 25 minutes long. The film is a drama with some comic moments, but a meditation on small town life that goes hand in hand with this Districts cycle I’ve been conceiving.


Districts - as told in the experimental film struggles to make sense of the identify one forms from their surroundings and how where you grow up can influence who you become. The second film in the cycle was P L A N S. This new flick - Hollow Spaces confronts a mother/son relationship when the son, after breaking up with his finance moves back home from Columbus, OH.


And for this I’m seeking a lot of actors - some to function as extras, others to star in lead roles. This one I want to make quickly on the weekends (probably two full weekends) with a small crew and natural lighting (a lot of it takes place in well lit rooms, not like that  dark Blood Sweat and Brando picture), it’ll be shot on HD. I feel good about this one, I think it’s a step in the right direction for me in that while it still retains some experimental threads in that it’s a study of time, space and dimension and will be carefully framed, ect - that it moves me towards more professional and I think more story-based filmmaking. Story is everything, I forgot that for a while, even experimental films have stories, so now I’m going to try to make a real film that captures the emotional intensity that I’ve strived for, while containing an actual plot. See, Ercan Bas - when you yell at me enough about plot, I respond - now you owe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment